Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Email History: Flight Confirmations

Editor's Note:  I'm recording this one because I think it's important to remember how many different government agencies in Utah stepped up to help us get the Team Hope plane route from PAP to Utah.  It was not until the 11th hour that we were able to confirm that all children had to be processed in Miami.

It was strengthening to see different entities (HHS, DHS, OOR, DCFS, etc) step up with suggestions on how we could work together to make this work efficiently and quickly in Utah.  Everyone really had the children's needs at the forefront of their minds and all these groups were very willing to do whatever it took at whatever hour of day or night the plane arrived to process these children.

It was frustrating beyond all reason that different individuals or departments within those same government agencies at a federal level or within different states, had completely different ideas of what HAD to happen or what was going to be allowed to happen.

In all of this, I tried to remember that the government didn't really have a process for this - fortunately for all of us, this sort of disaster doesn't happen every day.  That explains why several times a day new "requirements" emerged.

All,
If you are flying into Utah will you please email me your itinerary if you have not already done so.  I want to be sure that I know when everyone is due to arrive.

If you need a place to stay (I was going to say "if you need a place to crash" but realized that wasn't appropriate in an email about plane travel...) please let me know.  Michelle Gordon mentioned she has some family nearby that have offered to let people stay at their home and Brent and I aren't far away, and Tia says she has a bed, etc, etc.  I'm sure we can find you space.

I did talk to the Christmas Box House and they were more than happy to help, but as more details started to emerge about what was going to happen to clear the children when they arrive here (see documentation in the email I just sent re:JCICS meeting), it appears that logistically that won't be a good option. 

I'm still waiting for information on exactly where the plane is going to land in Utah (I believe the regular airport, but where so many government agencies are involved, I want to be sure it's not Hill AFB or something).  I will get that information out to you as soon as it's available to me.

Chareyl is going to go to the Embassy again first thing in the morning to check on the status of the handing out of the approved paperwork.  I know we've all been praying like crazy, so please continue that.

I'm actually going to try to go to work tomorrow.  They've been very patient with me this last week.  I'll be available by email and online all day, though. 

Please let me know if you have questions.

Thank you,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment