Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Living Large in Haiti


This is my accommodations and menu today. I found a small supply of CocaCola across the street and I have a few cliff bars left in my bag. 

The first night I was here I mistakenly dropped a good portion of my supplies at the church where Avrie was staying. I was under the impression this was going to be a quick trip. 

I have been supporting all the kids in our little group out of what I have left. I have been trying to make sure each one gets a little love, one-on-one time, and something from my goody bag. The bag is getting light very fast with almost 20 little people helping out.

The UN dropped off a few bundles of these blankets. They are pressed felt/wool deals that come off on your clothes (and gets all stuck in your hair if you have really fine curly hair). There are no bedrolls or anything to find to soften the hard floor. 

Our group is all sleeping outdoors right on the concrete with one of these blankets or a simple sleeping bag. Not exactly ideal but we have food, water, shelter, some electricity at night which is more than 80% of the people of Port-au-Prince.

As we drove the streets the first night we were here (about 4am) the people of this wrecked city were sleeping right in the roadway, wrapped in one simple blanket with nothing between their bodies and the hard ground. 

The weather has been perfect since the earthquake. What happens when the rains come?

I feel like I am living large with my clif bar, ice cold soda, and my UN blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment